Email Dr Jordan with comments at: geoffjordan[at]telefonica.net
Activities and Discussion Questions
You could work on this alone, or prepare responses for a presentation or discussion in a seminar.
- Can you summarise the main principle underlying Connectionism? What's your opinion of it?
- What elements do you think make up "Communicative Competence"? Do you think the Cognitive Approaches outlined deal satisfactorily with them?
- Can you summarise the constructs of (a) Interlanguage; (b) Implicit and Explicit knowledge; (c) Procedural and Declarative knowledge? How do you see the differences between (b) and (c)?
- How satisfactory do you think sociolinguistic studies are?
- How satisfactory do you think the work described here on sequences of SLA is? What questions remain unanswered?
- What's your opinion of Mike Long's and Nick Ellis' view of "fragile features" of the language and their suggestions to deal with this problem?
- How useful do you think studies in SLA are for teachers and testers? If you were involved in SLA research, what part of it would you concentrate on?
Bachman, L. F. and Cohen, A. D. (1998). Interfaces Between Second Language Acquisition and Language Testing Research Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Douglas, D. (2001). Performance consistency in second language acquisition and language testing research: a conceptual gap. Second Language Research 17(4), 442 - 456.
Ellis, N. (2006). Language Acquisition as Rational Contingency Learning. Applied Linguistics 27(1), 1 - 24.
Fulcher, G. (1995). "Variable competence and Second Language Acquisition: A problem for research methodology. System 25, 1, 25 - 33.
Gregg, K. R. (1990). The variable competence model of second language acquisition, and why it isn't. Applied Linguistics 11(4), 364 - 383.
Horne, S. (1984). Criterion-referenced testing: pedagogical implications. British Educational Research Journal 10(2), 155 - 173.
Jordan, G. (2004). Theory Construction in Second Language Acquisition. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Long, M. (1997) Focus on Form in Task-based Language Teaching. McGraw-Hill.
Pienemann, M. (1989). Is Language Teachable? Psycholinguistic Experiments and Hypotheses. Applied Linguistics 10(1), 52 - 79.
Shohamy, E. (2000). The relationship between second language testing and second language acquisition revisited. System 28(4), 541 - 554.
Web Pages to Visit
- Second Language Acquisition
- SLA Research
- Studies in Second Language Acquisition
- Linguist List
- Center for Applied Linguistics
Lecture by Geoff Jordan
Text by Glenn Fulcher
May 2013 / Updated 2015